Broccoli has been seen as a superfood for many years. It doesn’t contain many calories and it has a wealth of nutrients and antioxidants that support many aspects of human health.
There are three main varieties of broccoli:
One cup (91 grams) of raw broccoli packs (1):
- Carbs: 6 grams
- Protein: 2.6 gram
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Fiber: 2.4 grams
- Vitamin C: 135% of the RDI
- Vitamin A: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 116% of the RDI
- Vitamin B9 (Folate): 14% of the RDI
- Potassium: 8% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 6% of the RDI
- Selenium: 3% of the RDI
Broccoli is a rich source of various vitamins, minerals and fibers. Depending on the cooking methods, the vegetable nutrient composition may differ, but it is healthy for your diet to include it whether cooked or raw.
Broccoli contains multiple potent antioxidants that may support healthy cells and tissues throughout your body.
Studies found that it can reduce the risk of cancer, it improves bone health, it boosts the immune system and it helps your digestive process.
Due to its great health benefits, we propose you an easy and tasty recipe with broccoli. Your kids will just love it!
Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 12 to 16 ounces chopped frozen broccoli
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt (to taste)
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions, adding the chopped broccoli about 1 minute before the macaroni is done. Drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the mustard powder, pepper, and flour and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened and bubbling.
- Add the cheese and continue stirring until the cheese has melted. Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Add the drained macaroni and broccoli and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer to a serving dish or individual bowls.