Juicy, slightly sweet, slightly spicy and well seasoned ground pork filling mixed with deliciously caramelized apple and roasted fennel spice, wrapped in a golden brown, buttery, flaky puff pastry. Up your sausage roll game with these Caramelized Apple and Fennel, Pork Sausage Rolls.
It’s ground/minced meat (pork, beef, veel, chicken, lamb – whatever!), seasoned and spiced, and wrapped in pastry (puff pastry or short crust pastry sometimes), glazed with some egg wash and then baked to a golden brown, buttery, flaky, all kinds of drool-worthy savoury treat! No, it’s not “rolled sausage” and it’s not pigs in a blanket, though it may look like a closely-related cousin. It’s so much better than pigs in a blanket. It’s hard to beat a flaky, buttery, well-seasoned sausage roll, warm out of the oven. Very hard. Maybe even impossible. So here is the recipe:
- 1 leek
- 1 Royal Gala apple
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 500 g minced pork
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 large free-range egg
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Wash, trim and dice the leek, core and dice the apple, then pick the thyme leaves.
- Combine the pork, leek, apple, thyme leaves and mustard seeds in a bowl. Season and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry to 1cm thick and 34cm x 30cm. Halve lengthways and place a strip of mince down the centre of each.
- Brush the edges with beaten egg, roll up and seal. Brush with more egg, then cut each strip into 3 rolls.
- Score the tops and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Enjoy our Caramelized Apple and Fennel, Pork Sausage Rolls recipe.