Chickpeas are part of the legume family and they also known as garbanzo beans.
Chickpeas have been grown in Middle Eastern countries for thousands of years, while they have become more popular recently.
Their nutty taste and grainy texture pairs well with several other foods and ingredients.
Chickpeas may offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion ss a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases.
Additionally, chickpeas make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets bring high in protein.
Chickpeas contain a moderate amount of calories and several vitamins and minerals. They’re also a good source of fiber and protein.
A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving provides the following nutrients:
- Calories: 46
- Carbs: 8 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Folate: 12% of the RDI
- Iron: 4% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 5% of the RDI
- Copper: 5% of the RDI
- Manganese: 14% of the RDI
Due to their health benefits, we prepared this chickpea fajitas recipe.
Chickpea Fajitas Recipe
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 avocado, stoned and peeled
- 2 limes, juice of 1, the other cut into wedges
- 100g soured cream
- 2 tsp harissa
- 4 corn tortillas
- coriander, roughly chopped, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with foil. Drain the chickpeas, pat dry and tip onto the prepared baking tray. Add the oil and paprika, toss to coat, then roast for 20-25 mins until browned and crisp, shaking halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes and onion in a small bowl with the vinegar and set aside to pickle. Choose another bowl to put the avocado and use a fork to mash it, leaving some larger chunks. Stir in the lime juice and season well. Mix the soured cream with the harissa and set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat a griddle pan until nearly smoking. Add the tortillas, one at a time, charring each side until hot with griddle lines.
- Place everything on the table and start building the fajitas: spread a little of the harissa cream over the tortilla, top with roasted chickpeas, guacamole, pickled salsa and coriander, if you like its taste. Squeeze over the lime wedges for flavor.