I have often made this Spanish recipe, tortilla al horno or omelette with cheese, sausages, potatoes and other vegetables, especially for the evenings with friends or family. It is a fine snack that can be easily served both hot and cold.
I won’t go into details about the Spanish tortilla with potatoes and eggs that can be prepared in many different versions, differing from one region to another. It can be fried in a pan (that has a circular shape) or it can be baked in a rectangular oven tray. “Al horno” means “oven”. Also, the potatoes can be boiled before or they can be put on a cross, it can contain ham, tuna, seafood or chorizo (a special kind of sausage) and the vegetables used can be onions (most often) but also tomatoes, peppers, garlic, peas, etc. Tortilla de patatas is the simple version, most often prepared in Spain and contains only potatoes, onions and eggs. It’s not wrong if you put some pieces of cold steak leftover from the previous days – in fact, it is a good recycling idea.
The right potatoes for this kind of dish are the floury ones, with a high content of starch (for puree). I used new potatoes. I didn’t boil them beforehand but I baked them directly in the oven. For the rest I used green onions and coloured peppers. Instead, you can use some freshly sliced mushrooms.
1 kg of potatoes
300 – 350 g sausages (chorizo or some other kind)
250 g Manchego cheese or cheese that melts beautifully
2 green onions or 2 large old onions
1-2 bell peppers (I put ½ red, yellow, green peppers)
optional: a few sprinkles of hot pepper sauce (hot sauce, Tabasco, Sriracha or similar)
green onion, chopped green parsley
2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- I chopped the onions and peppers, cut the cabbage in rounds and grated the cheese.
- I washed and peeled the new potatoes and then cut them into rounds of approx. 0.5 cm. I salted them and put them in a strainer. You can cut them into cubes of 2-3 cm.
- I preheated the oven to 200 C with ventilation (heat up and down). I chose a large tray (35 x 40 cm) which I sprinkled with a spoon of oil. I put the potatoes, onions, peppers and sausages.
- I added salt and pepper to taste. I put the tray in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After the first 30 minutes, I removed the tray and gently mixed the vegetables and sausages and put them again in the oven for another 20 minutes at 200 C.
- I mixed the 9 eggs into a clean bowl and seasoned them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. I beat them with the goal. Finally, I added 150 g of the grated cheese and some chopped green onion (you can put green parsley).
- I removed the tray with potatoes, vegetables and sausages from the oven and levelled everything with a spatula so that I had a layer of constant thickness. I poured the cheese omelette over the vegetables and sprinkled the remaining cheese over it. I gave the tray back to the oven for 7 minutes but I lowered the temperature from 200 c to 180 C. The omelette in the oven is cooked very fast and we do not want to get a dry, stuffy thing.