Spinach Benefits for Our Health
Eating spinach is beneficial for eye health, it helps you reduce oxidative stress and even prevent cancer and reduce blood pressure levels.
There are many ways to prepare the spinach, some easier, some more complex. You can buy it canned or fresh and eat it cooked or raw. It’s delicious either on its own or in other dishes.
Spinach is also an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2, but its main characteristic is the fact that it is rich in iron. Iron plays a central role in the function of red blood cells which help in transporting oxygen around the body, in energy production and DNA synthesis. Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health. Did you know that it is difficult to find vegetables richer in vitamin K than spinach? Other plants that are rich in iron: kale, broccoli and green cabbage.
Spinach can be eaten as such in all kinds of salads or cooked. There are many tasty spinach recipes, but for today, we are going to present you one all your family will simply adore thanks to its crunchiness.
Feta&Spinach Pie Recipe
- 200g bag spinach leaves
- 175g jar sundried tomato in oil
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- ½ 250g pack filo pastry
- Put the spinach into a large pan. Pour over a couple tbsp water, then cook until just wilted. Tip into a sieve, leave to cool a little, then squeeze out any excess water and roughly chop. Chop the tomatoes and put into a bowl along with the spinach, feta and eggs. Mix well.
- Carefully unroll the filo pastry. Cover with some damp sheets of kitchen paper to stop it drying out. Take a sheet of pastry and brush liberally with some of the sundried tomato oil. Drape oil-side down in a 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin so that some of the pastry hangs over the side. Spread oil on another piece of pastry and place in the tin, just a little further round. Keep placing the pastry pieces in the tin until you have roughly three layers, then spoon over the filling. Pull the sides into the middle, scrunch up and make sure the filling is covered. Spread a little more oil.
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Cook the pie for 30 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the cake tin, slice into wedges and serve with salad.