Pumpkin is the star ingredient of the autumn and we enjoy it in all sorts of recipes. This pumpkin spice cake recipe is simple, straightforward, and positively perfect. It’s for those of us who want pure pumpkin spice flavor with nothing else in the way.
- Flour: All-purpose flour serves as the base. We use sturdy all-purpose flour instead of cake flour in this recipe because of the thick, wet batter.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: These ingredients help the cake rise.
- Cinnamon & Pumpkin Pie Spice: These are essential spices for any pumpkin dessert! Instead of prepared pumpkin pie spice, you can use 1/2 teaspoon each of ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground allspice, and ground ginger.
- Salt & Vanilla Extract: Add flavor. Try using homemade vanilla extract instead.
- Oil: Oil guarantees a moist crumb.
- Eggs: Eggs provide structure and moisture.
- Sugar: I sweeten this pumpkin cake with both brown sugar and white granulated sugar, but mostly brown. (Because you know that’s where the best flavor lies!)
- Pumpkin: Use an entire standard can of pumpkin, roughly 2 cups of pumpkin puree total. I love recipes calling for the whole can because nothing goes to waste and you don’t have a random 1/3 cup of leftover pumpkin sitting in the fridge.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients.
- Pour into prepared 9×13 inch cake pan.
- Make cream cheese frosting.
- Chill. 30 minutes in the refrigerator makes cutting easier.
- Enjoy our spicy pumpkin cake!