Related to the chili pepper, tomatoes and breadfruit, bell peppers are fruits that belong to the nightshade family.
Bell peppers are also called sweet peppers and they can be eaten either raw or cooked.
They can also be dried and powdered, in this case the powder is called paprika.
They are very rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants, being a great addition to a healthy diet.
Did you know that bell peppers come in different colors? You can find them in red, yellow, orange and green.
The main nutrients in 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw, red bell peppers are (1Trusted Source):
Protein: 1 gram
Carbs: 6 grams
Sugar: 4.2 grams
Fiber: 2.1 grams
Fat: 0.3 grams
Due to its benefits, we propose you a healthy cream soup with bell pepper.
Sweet potato soup with roast bell pepper
1 large bell pepper
2-3 cloves of garlic
- Clean and wash the onions and potatoes. Cut the onion into 4, and the potatoes into cubes.
- Put them in a pot, add water, a little salt and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, wash and clean the peppers, then roast them. After roasting, put them in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with a lid for approx. 15 minutes (steamed will be easier to clean).
- After the potatoes and onion have boiled, put the pot aside, remove the vegetables from the soup and leave them to cool for a few minutes. Keep the soup in which they were boiled. Put the potatoes, the onion, the baked pepper and the garlic into a blender. Add a cup of soup (the one where the vegetables were boiled) and mix until you get a paste.
- Put the vegetable paste in a pot, and add the soup slowly over it, until it reaches the desired consistency. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste.