Africans don’t usually have food imported, they usually eat locally available fruits such as cereal grains, vegetables, but also milk and meat products. The traditional diet is abundant in milk, curd and whey products.
The main ingredients are plantains, cassava, rice, kwanga (cassava dumpling) and yam. Fufu-like starchy foods are usually made from fermented cassava roots, but they can also be made with plantain, corn maize, and yam.
For today, we are going to present a simple, but tasty recipe: Chermoula Baked Cod Fillet. Of course, the dish works with all kinds of other fish as well but the cod used here will come out really juicy and fork-tender.
Ingredients for Cod Fillet:
12 cod fillets
1 tablespoon Chermoula
210 grams bell peppers
90 grams tomatoes
90 grams onions
100 millilitres Olive Oil
1 clay or ceramic oven proof dish
- Slice the tomatoes, and bell peppers in equal, fairly roughly cut strips and combine with the sliced onions.
- Add olive oil, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and spread evenly into your baking dish.
- Place the fish fillets on top of the vegetables, season with very little sea salt and squeeze one of the lemons over the cod fillets.
- Top the fillets generously with the Chermoula.
- Bake in the oven at 180 C (360 F) for approximately 15-18 minutes or until just done.
- The vegetables at the bottom of the baking dish should be done and slightly roasted, the crust should have a green to greenish-brown color and crisp.
- Serve the dish as is onto the table and serve your guests directly out of the oven dish.
- Enjoy this tasty cod recipe!