A cocktail is an alcoholic mixed drink, which is either a combination of spirits, or one or more spirits mixed with other ingredients such as fruit juice, flavored syrup, or cream. There are various types of cocktails, based on the number and kind of ingredients added. The origins of the cocktail are debated.
Are you expecting guests for the New Year’s Eve dinner and you want to impress them with your bartender qualities? It’s best to start with the basics. You should ask them what kind of cocktails they enjoy and find out the recipes. We have several suggestions that might come in handy. Follow them stem by step and your guests will be impressed.
This classic (and endlessly classy) cocktail can be made with either vodka or gin, and has numerous variations, including:
- Dry – no vermouth
- Medium Dry – a dash of vermouth
- Wet – one part vermouth
- Dirty – a dash of olive juice
- Shaken – shaken with ice instead of stirring
- On the Rocks – served over ice
- With a Twist – served with a lemon twist instead of olives
Each one of these variations bring changes to the drink For example, vermouth, aromatized, fortified wine flavored with various botanicals (roots, barks, flowers, seeds, herbs, and spices) and sometimes colored gives martini a special touch and flavour. The modern versions of the beverage were first produced in the mid to late 18th century in Turin, Italy.
- 2 shots gin
- Dash of vermouth
- Lemon rind
- Pour the gin and vermouth into a shaker about 1/3 filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into chilled glasses.
- Peel a swatch of rind 1-2 inches long, twist it, and drop into the glass.
A Manhattan is one of the cocktails that keep their cool in time. Made of bourbon or rye whiskey, this cocktail originated in the 1870’s in the Big Apple.
- 1.5 shots bourbon
- 1 dash angostura bitters
- ½ shot sweet red vermouth
- Stir ingredients in a cocktail shaker about 1/3 filled with ice.
- Strain into a chilled glass.
- Serve straight up with/without a cherry.
Bloody Marry Cocktail
This cocktails is rather perfect for the morning after the party. It may come in handy knowing how to prepare it at home, so here is our recipe for a tasty Bloody Marry Cocktail:
Bloody Mary Ingredients:
- 1.5 shots vodka
- 3 shots tomato juice
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Lager float (optional)
- Garnish goodies, such as olives, celery, cocktail onions, etc.
Bloody Marry Preparation
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with 1/3 ice and shake well.
- Pour into a pint glass. Add a lager float, if so inclined.
- Garnish with a wide assortment of savory options
Enjoy your cocktails and your New Year’s Eve with friends!