This new potato salad with asparagus can be served warm or cold. It may be a light spring or summer entree or main course. The advantage is that some components of the salad can be prepared one day in advance: boiled potatoes, boiled eggs, scrambled asparagus (poached), yogurt dressing with greens. So we only have to assemble the salad before serving and this operation does not take more than a few minutes.
I used new potatoes but you can choose some old ones as well, those are specially used for salads because they do not crush when boiled. Instead of quail eggs, you can boil chicken eggs (sticky or hard, depending on your taste). You can also choose white asparagus or a mix of white and green asparagus. Also, the raw-dried muscle can be replaced with a raw or boiled ham, prosciutto, smoked ham or pressed ham (boiled), etc. Finally, I decorated the salad with thin slices of radish and sprinkled it with a few flakes of parmesan.
Ingredients for the potato salad:
500 g new potatoes
500 g green or white asparagus (for boiling: water, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, ⅓ lemon, 20 g butter)
100 g raw-dried muscle
10-12 quail eggs or 4 chicken eggs
2-3 sliced radishes
30 g flakes of parmesan
salt, freshly ground pepper
chopped onion for decoration
200 g Greek yogurt
green garlic or ½ small clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
a few splashes of lemon
- The green asparagus is slightly tender than the white asparagus and it does not require long cooking to soften it. I broke the ends of the rods, washed them and prepared a large pan in which I put 1 L of water, a teaspoon of salt, one of sugar and a piece of butter. I squeezed 1/3 of lemon. I put the saucepan on medium heat and waited for the water to reach the boiling point.
- Then I carefully placed the asparagus rods in the boiling water and reduced the flame to a minimum. I put a lid on it and timed 2 minutes. I stopped the fire, pulled the pan aside and left the asparagus 3 minutes under the lid, steaming. Ready! I carefully poured it into a bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes meant to stop the cooking process.
- I put the eggs to boil in cold water and timed them 2 minutes from the time they started to boil. Then I cleared them with more cold water and left them in cold water for about 30 minutes.
- I boiled the potatoes in their skin.
- I chopped the parsley and added olive oil, salt, pepper and Greek yogurt.
- The dressing will be very creamy. Add a little lemon juice too.
- Enjoy the new potato salad with eggs and asparagus!