Popular in many parts of Asia, sticky rice is formed into little bite-sized portions and used to pick up meats or dipped into different sauces. The Chinese use to eat the rice differently, not so sticky, from a bowl with the chop sticks.
We are going to give you a few instructions for sticky rice, which is prepared slightly different from the authentic Thai recipe.
Sticky Rice Cooking Instructions
- Remove the cooking vessel from the rice cooker.
- Place the rice in the vessel and run cold water over it.
- Continue running the water over the rice until the water is no longer cloudy.
- Drain the rice and return it to the vessel.
- Place your index finger on the rice surface and add water until it reaches the end of your first digit, (approx 1.5-2 cmís (1/2-3/4 inch) over the rice)
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Place the vessel in the rice cooker and cook as per manufacturers instructions.
- For an even stickier rice use a medium or short grain rice.
Sticky Rice with Mango
- 1 1/2 cups glutinous (sweet) rice
- 1 1/3 cups well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted lightly
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices (at least 24)
- Cook the rice as per the cooking instructions.
- in a small saucepan bring 1 cup of coconut milk to a boil with 1/3 cup sugar and salt, mixing until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat. Keep the mixture warm.
- Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and stir in coconut-milk mixture. Let rice stand, covered, 30 minutes, or until coconut-milk mixture is absorbed. Rice may be prepared up to this point 2 hours ahead and kept covered at room temperature.
- While rice is standing, in the cleaned small pan slowly boil remaining 1/3 cup coconut milk with remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and chill until cool and thickened slightly.
- To serve, mold 1/4 cup servings of sticky rice on dessert plates. Drizzle desserts with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Divide mango slices among plates.