This French potato recipe is a very simple and fast one. We can boil the eggs and potatoes in advance (1-2 days before) and we just have to assemble the preparation and grill it. My mother is a big fan of French potatoes and prepares them almost weekly. The truth is, they are really tasty! Layers of potato rounds alternating with those of boiled egg, well topped with cream and a melted cheese crust. Yummy!
I also like the recipe with some smoked potatoes (kaiser, bacon, smoked rib) that are baked in milk with butter and cream (they use cross potatoes) and they are called Norwegian potatoes.
Going back to the French potatoes, it should also be said that the right varieties of potatoes are those for baking or salad. Boil the eggs for about 7-8 minutes because they will bake in the oven. The cream is a sour (fermented) one. It would be good to have at least 20% fat because otherwise, it will coagulate in the oven (it will be cheese).
About 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into round slices
6 eggs – hard-boiled
freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup sifted flour (3.5 oz.)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
1 cup goat milk yogurt or sour cream
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper
1 1/2 cup grated hard goat milk cheese.
- Cook the round potato slices in boiling water until tender but still firm enough that it won’t mush (about 15 minutes after boiling). Drain the water and let the potatoes cool for a while, while you prepare the Bechamel sauce.
- Melt butter with salt, mustard, black pepper, nutmeg and garlic in a deep saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir with a whisk and then start adding the milk gradually, 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Continue adding the milk, stirring and finally add the sour cream or yogurt and continue stirring till the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Remove from heat, add the eggs, one at a time, stirring each time.
- Arrange one layer of sliced cooked potatoes in 9×13 pan, layer the 3 sliced hard-boiled eggs in the baking pan, sprinkle a little bit of salt on them, cover with half of the Bechamel sauce and sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese. Arrange another layer of potatoes and 3 sliced eggs and top with the rest of the Bechamel and grated cheese.
- Bake in medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with yogurt or sour cheese on top.