Although potatoes get a bad rap because of their high starch content, they contain many other important nutrients and can be a very healthy choice for your balanced diet.
Purple potatoes have a nutrient content similar to that of other varieties of potatoes in the Solanum tuberosum family, though their mineral content can vary depending on the soil in which they were grown
A 3.5-ounce (100-gram) serving of cooked potato with the skin provides:
- Calories: 87
- Protein: 2 grams
- Carbs: 20 grams
- Fiber: 3.3 grams
- Fat: less than 1 gram
- Manganese: 6% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Copper: 21% of the DV
- Iron: 2% of the DV
- Potassium: 8% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 18% of the DV
- Vitamin C:14% of the DV
In case you are preoccupied with how much calories you consume, eating purple potatoes instead of white potatoes it’s the best choice. While the starch in purple potatoes increases blood sugar, it does so to less of an extent than the starch in yellow or white varieties.
Loading up on one meal of whole purple potatoes increased the participants’ blood and urine antioxidant levels found a small study.
Purple potatoes have been found to improve blood pressure and reduce the risk of cancer.
Due to its benefits, we propose a delicious purple potatoes recipe.
Purple Potatoes Salad with Boiled Eggs and Garlic Dressing
500 g purple potatoes
2 green onions
20 g matured cheddar cheese or plain cheese, smoked, hard cheeses such as Gouda, Edam, Emmentaler, Tilsit etc
6 cherry tomatoes.
For the dressing:
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic
fresh basil (6-8 leaves)
1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon plain vinegar
- Boil the potatoes in the shell for about 20 minutes, depending on their size. Then peel off the peel (the peel is a little thicker, but cleans very easily).
- Boil the eggs for 7 minutes after the water starts boiling. Leave them for several minutes in cold water and then peel them.
- Cut the tomatoes and the green onion in small cubes.
- Cut the eggs in 4.
- Cut the Cheddar cheese in small cubes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the Dressing:
Cut the garlic and the basil in small pieces and place them in a small bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix the ingredients and add them to the salad.