Quick and Creamy Garlic Lemon Sauce
If you are looking for a simple garlic lemon cream sauce recipe with only a few ingredients, you are lucky! This recipe can come with pasta or as a base for many other dishes. You will love the creamy texture and its fresh taste! If you are not a pasta lover, then salmon, chicken, or shrimps are also a great choice!
Here are a few essential steps to obtain the perfect sauce:
- To obtain an ultra-smooth sauce, we recommend you use a Microplane for the garlic.
- Instead of using shredded Parmesan, choose to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. This way, it incorporates better into the cream mixture. Use a Microplane to grate the cheese or a box grater.
- Be careful with the temperature while cooking. Remember to stir frequently, so the garlic and butter-flour mixture doesn’t burn.
- Enjoyed immediately because the sauce will thicken quickly. You can thin out the sauce with little white wine, milk, reserved pasta water, or half and half.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Four garlic cloves, grated with a Microplane
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Finely chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 cups half and half (not fat-free)
- Zest 1 lemon, or about 1 tsp.
If you want to add milk, you can use 2% or whole milk. However, be aware that the higher the fat content, the more decadent the sauce will be.
Melt butter in a 12-inch or 30 cm non-stick skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook it for around 30 seconds. Remember to stir constantly.
Afterward, stir in flour and cook for about 1 minute. Wait until it’s lightly golden. It should look like a paste. Be careful not to burn the flour.
Gradually pour in the half and half, stirring as you pour. Then, season everything with salt and pepper. Now it’s time to bring it to a simmer. Also, reduce heat to a medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens. If any lumps form, whisk them out. The properly thickened sauce should coat the back of your spoon.
Add in lemon juice and zest. Parmesan cheese and parsley can now be added. The cheese should immediately melt into the sauce.
In the end, remove from heat and serve immediately.